Total Waste Management Solutions
01952 204471
Home  >  Metal Recycling

Why Use Metal Recycling Companies?

When it comes to recycling, metal is one of the most valuable waste streams produced. Estimated to be worth £5.6 billion, the UK metal recycling industry processes millions of tonnes of ferrous and non ferrous metal scrap into secondary raw materials for the smelting of new metals. In Britain roughly 70% of all metal is used only once and then thrown away, with only the remaining 30% recycled. Improving this figure helps save energy and resources, as well as preventing toxic materials from polluting our landfills.

Do You Have To Recycle Metals?

In the UK, metal recycling companies contribute more than any other sector, to the targets for the prevention of waste through recovery of end-of-life products. As part of your Duty of Care, responsible disposing of metals will minimise the impact on raw materials for the creation of new products.

  • Packaging – approximately 2 billion aluminium and steel cans are recycled every year
  • Vehicles – constituting nearly 90% of the target, a car is made from over 75% metal. Approximately half of all the metals processed by shredders comes from vehicles
  • WEEE – electronic and electrical goods are a significant consumer of non-ferrous metals such as copper
  • Batteriesmetal recycling companies already recycle most lead acid vehicle and industrial batteries


metal recycling

Which Metals Can Be Recycled?

Metal is one of the easiest materials to recycle as almost every type of metal we use in our daily lives is 100% recyclable. This means that nothing needs to be wasted, and the properties of metal mean that there is no loss in quality and it can repeat this process over and over again. Frequently used metals which can be recycled include:

  • Aluminum
  • Iron
  • Steel (including Stainless)
  • Iron
  • Copper
  • Lead
  • Tin
  • Zinc
  • Brass
  • Bronze
  • Magnesium

The most commonly recycled metal is aluminium used in food and drinks cans; this is because its re-production uses just 5% of the energy which would be needed to create a comparable amount from raw materials. The most valuable metals are found in discarded electronics equipment such as computers and mobiles, which contain tiny amounts of gold, silver and platinum on their circuit boards.

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act

Revisions to the Scrap Metal Dealers Act in December 2013 made it illegal to buy or trade scrap metal for cash. The revised legislation makes it even more important to ensure you have full visibility of all your waste metal streams. To ensure you remain compliant, source a reliable metal recycling company such as Recycling Services.

Manage Your Metal Waste With Recycling Services

Unlike other metal recycling companies, Recycling Services can recycle all types of metal for your business. Helping you to maximise the value of this waste stream, we can help you harness the revenue attached to bulk collections of mixed scrap and high value metals such as aluminium and copper.

As a reputable waste management company, we have the experience and capabilities to deliver an outstanding metal recycling service nationwide. We ensure all our partners are made aware of changes in legislation, making sure they remain fully compliant. At Recycling Services we will provide a full audit trail for all collections of scrap metal sent for recycling from your premises.

Call today to maximise revenue from your metal recycling. Phone us on 01952 204471 or email

callback desktop callback mobile

Your message

Enter the code below (This is to protect us from spam)
*Required fields
submit enquiry